Deciding whether to leave your job for another job or to become an entrepreneur is a big decision. It’s not one you want to take lightly and if you’re reading this you’re probably considering one of those moves. A little scared? Anxious? That’s good. You should be. Your professional future lies in big decisions like this one. It’s especially true when you’re trying to decide if you should become an entrepreneur. Here’s a great free online course about becoming an entrepreneur.
Leaping into your own business takes guts. It also takes hard work and common sense. Consider:
- Don’t become an entrepreneur just to make money. It won’t work. You have to love what you do and be inspired to do it. Once I had a conversation with a man who said in order to become an entrepreneur a person had to invent something other people would need. I thought he was more wrong than right….perhaps on the right track. But that shouldn’t be the heart of the reason you go into business for yourself.
- If you need a guarantee of success, this isn’t for you. There are no guarantees in life, including in your salaried position!
- Stress affects your health. If you begin a business you don’t like (sounds odd but people do it) you are on a fast track to developing mental and physical health issues, not career success.
- A totally safe path in life can be practical and make you a steady income. It can also be very boring if you don’t love you do. Or at least like it.
- Even salaried positions haven’t got job security anymore – at least not in the corporate sector.
- People say don’t try to do what you love because that’s not going to make you any money. Not true. Lots of people have salaried jobs or are entrepreneurs and are doing something they love to do.
- Ask yourself why you want to stay in your current position if you are unhappy. If it’s just the so-called job security consider that in the corporate world there is no such thing as job security anymore. The days of working for 26 years in the same organization and retiring with a gold watch are long over. Take this career test to determine if you should quit your job.